Thread: Airsoft Stories

Airsoft Stories

So with the boards being opened up, we ought to share a bit of our favorite memories from the hobby. Here are some scattered memories...

Starting out I was a huge fan of the SWAT video game series on PC. I decked myself in all black including a genuine Blackhawk tactical vest plus a replica PASGT helmet, which made my absurdly large head even bigger. I was dangerously approaching bobble-head territory. My next camo pattern was just as ill-advised as I went to MARPAT instead of standard woodland.

Apocalypse was just opening up to airsoft and some Saturdays we were permitted to come and enjoy the site after hours. The only field with any significant structure was the tower/trench field and we played the heck out of it. Getting 20 or 30 people together was a really nice crowd. Back before Dave and company really built up the structures we got to do breach and clear scenarios in the shack. That was stupid fun, but I much prefer the buildings on the field today.

Bounty Hunter Wars was a unique annual event at the now-closed Wargame Room. Squads were tasked with going onto the field to hunt down VIPs and return them alive to a designated location for points. Squads could cooperate or ambush each other to turn in VIPs, but the bounties themselves were funny and unique. As I recall, there was a lone survivalist gunman armed with a sniper and a ghillie out in the woods; a heavily armed psycho; a mob boss with his gang armed with AEGs; and a Triad boss with his gang. I had the privilege of playing the Triad boss to live out my John Woo dreams with my friends protecting me. We mostly used my collection of GBBs but also had training katanas. We sat in a wooded clearing as our restaurant playing cards and waiting for attacks and then we'd upend the table and start duel-wield blasting into the treeline. In one attack my friend executed a Matrix-like cartwheel shot and landed a lucky kill with the handgun. My favorite story was when a squad raided the our site and I got shot. Normally this would mean that the attackers would have to leave and give us time to reset. However, they curiously didn't kill one of my bodyguards and started hauling him away. They thought that he was the boss and didn't realize it until they attempted to turn him in for the points.

Fallen Angel was another fun series at the Wargame Room. The concept was supposed to involve two large factions fighting it out while a third small faction of "all-stars" (Omega) performed their own missions that may or may not conflict with the larger parties. The two main factions had set bases and Omega had to set up their own somewhere on the field. The unique aspect was that there were to be no breaks in play. Take all your food, drink, and ammo onto the field or risk penalty. I got to play with the Omega squad and lugged two AEGs onto the field, at least two bags of ammo, plus food and water. Ironically, it was the first game where I never had to fire a shot. Omega basically schemed its way into getting the factions to hand over objectives. In one case we got a faction to give us a VIP by setting up a meetup in the woods. The faction sent only one (or two) of their own to make the deal. When they got to the site, we took everyone hostage. The VIP eventually tried to run for it and I chased after him shooting in the air as if that would really deter him at all. Someone else caught him and brought him back. The other two soldiers we eventually "recruited" so that they could get in some shooting time at the end of the day. In the final Fallen Angel I got to play, they added a mole into the Omega squad and we were constantly trying to figure out who it was. At one point the squad was certain it was me. Turns out they were wrong... it was the real-life significant other of one of the faction's commanders. I wish mercenary elements were still workable, but these days it all eventually boils into a shoot on sight situation. We were more trusting back then, I guess.

More stories to come as I rummage through my collection of photos from the past decade...

I think that my entry into airsoft was not because of a video game or a movie but because of airsoft itself. Had always heard about it but since I lived in an anti-gun country, could only dream about guns, let alone shoot my friends with it. I haven't spent nearly the amount of time in this hobby as some of you guys but my learning curve was steep and I wanted to get up there pretty quickly, very expensive though.

The fallen angel stories sound extremely interesting and thats what I wish airsoft would be like. If there was a more strategic and diplomatic aspect to games, it would make them intensely more fun and keep things fresh.

Jun, that's pretty funny you bring up Bounty Hunter Wars. I was was at Airsoft Arena this weekend and the guy who was sharing our table was talking about that event.

I got into airsoft when I was like 18. (am currently 31) I just bought a whole bunch of gas pistols and a couple crappy sniper rifles. (Two Berettas, a full auto Glock 18 and a MAC-11) My friends and I would just play wherever we could, be it a basement, an abandoned house or whatever.

One time, we were playing in a friend's basement and we just had cheap goggles and some crappy glasses. One of my brother's friends didn't want to wear the glasses. I told him quite sternly that if you don't wear them, YOU DO NOT PLAY! So, he puts on the glasses. What do you think happens? I burst down the stairs and blast him right in the face. He literally watched the bb bounce off his goggles where his eye would have been. Always wear your goggles, kids!

Ya know what event I miss? APB! That was so much fun! I love the lightheartedness of it. Plus the light role playing was a bit fun, too. Although, onetime I played that event, the bad guys got totally cheated out of a win.

Explanation- Literally minutes before the noon break, I was in possession of one of the scientist VIPs. I was walking him back to our base. When out of no where, a guy in all tan gimps towards me. (Pretty sure he had an injured leg) I'm thinking his my teammate because he has ZERO identifying marks and no tac gear (which were mandatory for the police) So, this guy walks up to me, knifes me and takes the VIP away. I just stood there utterly confused because I had not seen that guy all morning despite such a low player count. (I later found out he literally walked into the game just before the morning end) Then at the end of the day, the bad guys lost buy like ONE point, which would've been ours had that guy not (what I felt like) cheated to get a cheap objective. That was like 5 years ago? and I'm still a bit sore about that...

Either way, I have a youtube channel with a couple videos. Feel free to check them out. I'm pretty proud of my 27 kill streak with 10 knife kills at Vigilance a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dfhellraiser4td

Bounty Hunter Wars ran for at least another year or two without me participating. To be honest, I felt like the character roles should have played for free or should have been given a discount because we were a key mechanic who existed only to be shot or dragged around the field. Digression aside, it was one of the more creative game types I've been involved in considering there were five or six independent squads working their way through the field.

I got to walk in to photograph an APB event at the Airsoft Arena in Milwaukee. There was some great tension in the air, even though I didn't quite get what was going on. I'm curious what the detailed game mechanics were. Was there a mole? I'd love to see an airsoft spin off of The Departed/Infernal Affairs where each side tries to suss out the spy in their organization while going after missions or what have you.

Let's see what else I can remember...

Red Venom was likely the first large-scale regional event in Wisconsin (I only started around 2002, so it's possible there was a bigger event prior). It was run by the Task Force Delta team out of... Manitowoc, I think? Anyway, the event was hosted at where else but Apocalypse Paintball and drew at least 100 players, if I recall correctly, and the castle was newly built. The scenario was basically US versus Russia. I brought a few friends and we played on the Russian side because I don't think we all had the uniforms to go with the US.
    I don't remember a ton aside from running like mad to get away from TFD's custom built fast attack vehicle on the back perimeter road (I might have an old photo of that thing somewhere.) A favorite memory was watching my friend wearing blue jeans and a black t-shirt picking off opponents with my SR-16 while we defended the back of the castle. He was protected by a tree, but otherwise fully visible while he just kept putting one perfect shot out after another on semi-auto to push back the assault (there weren't restrictions on semi-auto for AEGs back then). A humorously humbling moment also happened as my group and I felt a bit arrogant and thought we could flank the opposing side by staying close to the swamp. We were decked out in our garb and felt confident when we heard something in the brush. We paused and tried to determine if our plan was foiled when suddenly something burst from the wooded area and split right through our squad. I can't describe it too well because as soon as it jumped out, I turned tailed and ran for my life like a coward. It was a doe.

Codename Thunder is a series that is still running today and I was fortunate enough to attend two of them many years ago. In fact, it the first out of state event for me and my battle buddy Nytwalker. It was either Thunder 3 or 4, but I remember that it was hosted at the sprawling Challenge Park Extreme paintball field. We sided with the "good guy" forces to take on the Cartel led by the bigger than life character of Hector Chiro played by Matt Downtown Brown. CPX had a couple fields side by side that were made beautifully to imitate a bombed out city on one side and a small town center on the other with a tall berm of earth between the two. We were nearing the midday break and had just captured both fields. I was leisurely hanging out at the town side's base of the berm when allied US players suddenly poured over the hill. Not being one to question, I ran along with them and took cover in one of the buildings. Slowly emerging over the earthen pile was Downtown hoisting a minigun at his hip and spraying plastic horror over our heads. I'm sure he had some cartel grunts with him, but all I recall is the sound of him laughing over the buzzing ricochet of BBs as we waited for the end of the lunch break - our only chance for escape. Lots of good laughs for that maneuver.

I'm starting to realize that I have very few stories of personal victory... I was never one to really calculate my k/d ratio, but that's probably because I knew I wouldn't be very good. Now my shenanigans at the recent Operation Plague events are a different matter. I took a lot of lessons from Fallen Angel into each year of Plague.

I never got to play APB at Airsoft Arena, only at Apoc. I was always interested on how they'd play in such a small area compared to Apoc.

I'm definitely glad Apoc switched from full-auto to semi-auto. I remember the full-auto events just ended up being a lot of boring stalemates because people would just spray areas and there'd be little to no movement because of it. I'm playing airsoft, not paintball!

I will always love Op Plague. It's the perfect event for beginners. That event is how I've gotten so many people into the sport. I really wish they'd bring a bit more role playing and objective based gameplay back to Op Plague. "Find stuff around the map" is fun and all but I really enjoyed a couple years ago when they were giving out a variety of missions. One of which was where we had to find the hidden antennas, copy the codes and return them to one of the base leaders. Stuff like that. I just wish so many people wouldn't leave the second half of the day. Really kills the game for the second half survivors. I've been going since Plague 6 and have NEVER left early.